How a Magnetic Stirrer can help you:
What is uses of magnetic stirrer? If there is one device that is very useful in daily tasks and yet not in the forefront, it is the Magnetic Stirrer. A magnetic stirrer has the ability to perform all the relevant tasks in the background while you go about taking care of the more pressing and important matters. The magnetic stirrer is essentially a small bar magnet and a stand which contains a rotating magnet. The bar magnet is usually in a plastic cover and a stand or a place has the rotating magnet. Thus this setup helps creates a rotating magnetic field.
The Magnetic Stirrer has several applications and is actively used in many different industries. The main tasks it performs is to either stir or mix fluid samples. This is very useful in the food industry and chemical industry; besides which it is also used in several other industries like biotechnology.
Uses of a Magnetic Stirrer:
A magnetic stirrer is often also known as magnetic stir plates. Several firms and people who often conduct chemical and biological experiments find these magnetic stirrer. If you have a requirement where the sample components need to be mixed a magnetic stirrer is the device for you. It is possible to use either liquids or solids samples to obtain a homogeneous liquid mixture. For example, the bacterial growth media is a kind of sample used in with the magnetic stirrer.
How to use your Magnetic Stirrer:
The way the Magnetic Stirrer works that an external magnetic field is applied to the magnetic stirrer mix solution. This happens when the sample that you have placed in the stirrer starts rotating with the small bar magnet. The magnetic stirrer is a fairly small device and hence it is very easy to use in a laboratory.
Benefits of using a Magnetic Stirrer:
A magnetic stirrer plays important role in minimizing the risk of contamination since there is only an inert magnet bar that is placed inside the sample (fluid). It is very easy to keep this device clean. A manual stirrer is different from the magnetic one. The magnetic stirrer is vital for the process of reproducible mixing or mixing for long period of time. In the case where you require the process of protein dialysis to be performed on a sample, you will be required to place the sample in the stirrer for a very long time. In fact many laboratories prefer overnight sample mixing thus enabling them to utilize valuable time. This would be possible only with a Magnetic Stirrer and not the manual kind.
Practical Magnetic Stirrers at Neuation make the difference:
There are many types of Magnetic Stirrer available like the heavy duty magnetic stirrer, the battery powered magnetic stirrer and even the air operated turbine magnetic stirrer. Each has unique characteristics and applications. Neuation is a company that design and develop their own high performance equipment with their highly skilled R & D team who make all the magic happen and constantly reinvent themselves.
A magnetic stirrer is a device that can be used for mixing of various liquids. The rotating magnetic field used in these stirrers cause the stir bar to spin very quickly, result of which is the stirring of liquids the stir bar is dipped into.
Although magnetic stirrers are available in the market but to save on the cost the same can also be formed with the help of old scrap parts of computer and bit of other things. Let’s discuss in brief as how to perform the task of homemade magnetic stirrer.
Selection of Fan: Arrange for an 80mm 12-vold DC fan (suitable for 1-L flask) which is easily available with electronic retailers or you can take out the fan used in any of the scrap desktop laying at your house. The fan offered by the computer part maker Antec is the best in configuration. It would be great to use a fan that has a molex connector and built-in speed selector to avoid prolonged process and for smooth operation of stir plate.
Magnet Sourcing: With the help of screw drivers the magnet can be obtained from an old hard drive or can be purchased from retailers in case of non-availability of old hard drives.
Preparing the Fan for use as the stir plate motor: With the help of the multi-surface adhesive, balance and stick the magnet at the central round surface of the fan. For this first place the magnet at the centre of the fan then check if it is well balances (as proper balancing is very essential) and put a mark on the edges and remove the magnet. Give instructed time to the glue to dry for best results.
If wobbling of the stir plate worries you then it would be a better option to test the stir plate after putting a 2/3rd filled 1-L flask on top of it. Because of the weight all the vibration and trembling will be diminished.
Final Preparation: Although the magnetic stirrer can be created by using a wooden cigar box also instead of the external hard drive case but using the hard drive case always makes the work easier. Main advantages of using hard drive cases are:
Built in power supply
Inexpensive hard drive cases
Preinstalled small fan inside to expel heat
Now firstly clean the case and try to make some space inside by cutting or unplugging the hard drive data cable which looks like a wide plastic ribbon. For mounting the fan you will need to use the screws, nuts and washers. By putting the fan on the top centre you can mark four holes where after drilling your screws, neoprene washer and nuts can be fixed. The only thing you need to make sure is that the fan spins freely without any obstacles.
You can also mount the fan with the help of adhesive instead of the screws; just confirm the free spinning of the fan. Now power the fan by connecting it with the inbuilt 4-pin power connector and that’s it. Connect the drive’s plug with the wall socket and use the homemade magnetic stirrer created at a very low cost. Start off with a slow speed and rationally increase the speed when the plate starts to spin smoothly.
Wide Range of Next Generation Lab Equipments with Neuation products:
Neuation follows ISO 9001: 2008 management systems is an ISO 13485: 2003 certified lab equipment manufacturing enterprise. If the whole of the process seems a bit too complicated to perform, the another option is to purchase a magnetic stirrer from a supplier like Neuation Technologies. Here you will not only get the most advanced magnetic stirrer but also a wide range of equipment used in laboratories for better operations. For more details type Neuation.com in the address bar of your browser and connect instantly.
A magnetic stirrer is laboratory equipment that is used to create a rotating magnetic field. The magnetic stirrer has a small bar magnet and a stand or plate containing a rotating magnet. Additionally the bar magnet is coated with plastic and plate that contains a rotating magnet. Thus a rotating magnetic field can be created with the help of a rotating magnet.
Magnetic stirrer Maintenance and Repairs:
A magnetic stirrer like any other laboratory device needs proper care and regular maintenance. Thus if your are wondering how to reduce maintenance costs of a Magnetic Stirrer, here are the following points you must take a note off :
- The magnetic stirrer must never be immersed in water or a cleaning solution of any kind.
- It is very easy to damage the surface of the equipment if you use chlorine based cleaning agents, cleaning wool or cleaning agents that contain metal parts or ammonium. Thus special care must be taken.
- The magnetic stirrer in almost maintenance free. The protective film on the standing surface can be left as it is if desired as well.
- It is good practice to clean the surfaces of the magnetic stirrer with a moist cloth on a regular basis.
- The magnetic stirrer can be cleaned with either water containing a surfactant detergent additive or isopropanol.
- It is advisable to change the status of the magnetic stirrer to standby mode, making sure the digital display disappears before cleaning it.
- Also make sure you disconnect the secondary power cable from the magnetic stirrer prior to cleaning.
- The equipment must be thoroughly checked before each use and in case you notice an defect in the power cable, secondary cable or the mains plugs, they must be replaced immediately with the recommended replacement.
- Any necessary repairs on the equipment must be carried out only the authorized service agent.
- In case the magnetic stirrers needs to be shipped to the authorized service agent for repairs, you should make sure that device is packed properly to prevent any transit damage.
Using the Magnetic Stirrer safely:
Every device has an instruction manual with instructions on how to operate it. Some devices are need to be operated by taking certain precautions as well, especially laboratory devices were experiments are conducted using several different kinds of substances. Here are a few tips on how to use a magnetic stirrer safely:
- Always be on the lookout for any warning signs, since you can prevent anything from going wrong before it happens that way.
- Never use the Magnetic stirrer (along with the power supply unit) in a humid room or in a place where there is a possibility of water splashes.
- Install the Magnetic Stirrer in a place which usually has a constant temperature.
- Other devices like pace makers, watches etc., can be affected by the Magnetic Stirrer and thus it is best to keep magnetic or metallic parts away from it.
- It is good practice to turn off the Magnetic Stirrer and remove the samples once the stirring is complete.
Role of the Magnetic Stirrer:
The Magnetic Stirrer is a device that is used in many different industries, however it is mainly used in the pharmaceutical and food industry. It allows the mixing of reactants at a uniform temperature. It is possible to prevent violent boiling in a sealed container while boiling. A Magnetic Stirrer can also be used to accelerate the reaction rate and the evaporation rate. Thus how you use the Magnetic Stirrer depends solely on your requirements.
What is Magnetic Stirrer:
- A magnetic stirrer is an equipment used to create rotating magnetic field. The magnetic stirrer is designed such that there is a small bar magnet and a stand or plate containing the rotating magnet.
- In general the bar magnet is coated with plastic and plate contains rotating magnet. It is possible to create a rotating magnetic field with the help of a rotating magnet.
Working of Magnetic Stirrer:
- An external magnetic field is applied to the magnetic stirrers mix solution which facilitates the rotating of the small magnetic bar placed in the mixture of interest.
- The way this works is the rapidly rotating magnetic field makes the bar magnet rotate which ends up stirring the liquid. Since their size is usually small they are highly preferred in laboratory experiments.
Functions and uses of a Magnetic Stirrer:
- The magnetic stirrers are also known as magnetic stir plates and quite commonly used for experiments in chemistry and biology.
- There are very useful when you need to mix component, either solids or liquids and get a homogeneous liquid mixture. Some of the common samples include bacterial growth media as well as buffer solutions.
- The main function of a stirrer is to agitate the liquid for speeding up the reactions or improving mixtures. A magnetic stirrer is often used with hot plates.
Types of a Magnetic Stirrer:
There are several types of Magnetic Stirrer available and it all depends on your selection of size, application and configuration. The various different type are listed below:
Magnetic Mini Stirrer:
As the name suggests, the mini magnetic stirrer is a compact sized stirrer that occupies very little space and allows the users to regulate the speed with great precision with the help of the controls provided. It has been wisely designed to be resistive to harmful chemicals present in a laboratory environment. In addition to which it also consists of a speed regulator that ensures that the device never exceeds the maximum speed.
Magnetic Stirrer with Timer:
Again the name says it all. This is the type of stirrer that has the ability to automatically shut off the motor after the set amount of time. The way this works is that it uses an in built timer to shut off the stirrer when the pre – selected period of time has been over. Besides which the speed is also automatically reduced and the load is automatically removed.
Heavy-Duty Magnetic Stirrer:
The heavy duty magnetic stirrer are true to their name. They have a greater chemical resistance and are highly durable, besides which they also have a high mixing capacity. Additionally they have an internal electronic control device that regulate the speed automatically with respect to the load. Thus the heavy duty magnetic stirrer makes for a perfect instrument for use in a laboratory or production environment.
Battery Powered Magnetic Stirrer:
The battery powered magnetic stirrer come in handy where there is no electric outlet. Their main application is in incubators. They consist of rubber feet and their speed can be controlled with the help of the speed control knobs provided. In general alkaline batteries can be used with these devices though rechargeable batteries should work just fine.
Air Operated Turbine Magnetic Stirrer:
If you have the requirement for stirring liquid up-to one liter than the air operated turbine separator is the ideal equipment. The major advantage being that it eliminates the hazards associated with sparking from electrical sources.
Benefits of using a Magnetic Stirrer:
One of the major advantages of a magnetic stirrer is that it minimizes the risk of contamination since only there is only an inert magnet bar that is placed inside the sample (fluid).
Additionally this can also be easily cleaned. A manual stirrer is not as consistent as the magnetic one and the magnetic one is also critical for reproducible mixing or mixing over long time scale. For example, protein dialysis requires multi hour or overnight sample mixing and is sensitive to bacterial contamination.
Specifications of using a Magnetic Stirrer:
- There are many different types of Magnetic Stirrers available.
- Here are the specifications of a Magnetic Stirrer from Neuation, called i Stir Uno.
- This one has no moving parts and is truly maintenance free.
- It has a software driven gradual acceleration and an adjustable speed.
- It is microprocessor controlled and has the last run memory storing ability.
The basic specification goes as below:
- Speed Setting – 15 to 1500 RPM
- Recommended Stir bar length – 25 mm
- Dimensions (W x D X H) – 120 x 164 x 12 mm
- Protection Class – IP65 compliant design (Water Spill resistant).