A centrifuge device can be found in several kinds of laboratories. It is quite commonly used in the field of medicine and hence all most every medical laboratory is likely to have one. It is capable of high speed rotation which is very useful in many areas of research.
The centrifuge rotation speed can be as high as 20,000 RPMs to even 40,000 RPM. In fact, it can also go as high as 100,000 RPM. The bioscience laboratories benefit a great deal due to the high speed centrifugation. The bioscience applications include concentrating cells in suspension, separating and isolating cell membranes from cytosolic contents and even purifying and isolating genetic material.
A centrifuge is not a device that is purchased very often and hence it is necessary to be aware of all the facts in order to make the right decision. There are several types of centrifuge rotors where all have a different application. Here are few facts that one should be aware off.
Tips & Facts Concerning Centrifuge Rotors:
- The rotors can cost quite a bit; their price in terms of dollars range from 100 dollars to may be a few thousand dollars.
- The cost of a rotor depends on the number of tubes capacity as well the size of the tubes, like either 500ml or 80ml, etc. In addition to which speed capabilities of the rotor also influence the cost.
- Considering the fact that a good rotor, especially a high speed rotor with additional features can set you back quite large amount of money, it is advisable to make sure you give a good though to the current usages as well as future usages prior to selecting one.
- It is important to note that the rotors do have a maximum speed specification and the higher the speed capability the higher the cost is likely to be.
- It is necessary to be aware of the ‘k-factor’. The lower the value of the ‘k-factor’ the better and more efficient is the centrifuge device. A rotor having a lower ‘k-factor’ has the ability to perform its task faster as well. The ‘k-factor’ is based on the geometry of the rotor and the RPM as well.
- The rotor design depends on the type vessel type being used. It is possible to use tubes, bottles as even microplates in a rotor. Hence if one has a clear picture of the future applications of the rotor and vessel type, it will help them in purchasing the correct one.
- The centrifuge can be used for several kinds of samples. Some samples may need to be maintained at a low temperature, for example a blood sample, while other samples may be highly toxic. Hence special purpose centrifuges are also available with special purpose rotors.
- The rotor material also plays an important role. It can be either metal, anodized aluminium or titanium.
- The rotor configuration plays an important role in achieving efficiency. One of the more common configuration is the fixed angle rotor configuration. This configuration is usually used for pelleting cells.
- The swinging bucket configuration is also quite popular. This has even spaced holes and the buckets are attached to the rotor by pivots. The buckets have the ability to swing outwards during operation.
Neuation’s Centrifuge Devices
If you are searching for laboratory centrifuge manufacturer, Neuation is leading the way in the development of several laboratory equipment and devices. They are experts in developing new and innovative products to suite the requirements of people using such devices like the hot plate, a centrifuge, the magnetic stirrer and many more. These devices are often used in a laboratory and for educational purposes.
The benefit of choosing the Neuation devices for your laboratory needs is that their devices are functionally and aesthetically sound. Since they develop several laboratory equipment and also have a research division, their devices are very efficient, fast, keeping with the technological changes and above safe to use.