- When you think of a well equipped laboratory, you cannot disregard centrifuge. Actually, without centrifuge, there is no possibility of a laboratory. That’s why it is always referred as centrifuge laboratory equipment.
- Since its very much usage in a lab, centrifuge has become an integral part of a laboratory. However, in general, it is most widely used in bio-medical research laboratory all over the world.
Use of Centrifuges in a Lab
- Use of centrifuges in a lab is noticeable because without a laboratory centrifuge the research task becomes next to impossible.
- As it is laboratory equipment, it is specifically used whenever a researcher needs to separate fluid, gas, or liquid based on density. And the whole process of separation is regarded as centrifugation.
- By centrifugation, complex components of mixture are separated by its density as per the requirements.
- If its dense particles, they move towards the bottom while the lighter particles move towards the top.
- The whole process of centrifugation takes place depending upon its motor. If a motor is of a good quality, it moves at high speed.
- With the help of centrifuge, one can easily separate blood into its components such as white blood cells, red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
- As the plasma has the lowest density, it floats on the top while others remain in the bottom as per their density.
- Most common centrifuges are used in biology, chemistry and biochemistry just to differentiate suspensions. Apart from this, centrifuges are also used in dairies for separating milk.
- In order to separate cream from milk, milk professionals use centrifuges. With the help of centrifugation, one can easily separate water, soluble, non-soluble fats and other substance from milk.
- And this whole process of separating mainly depends on motors of centrifuges. Because motor gives speed to the process and one can achieve the desired results through centrifugal.
- Above all, urinalysis can be done through centrifuges. The doctors can identify possible diseases in humans through urine components. After that lab technicians verify the components through microscopes.
- Blood banks also use centrifuges for identifying various components in blood in order to judge the existing diseases in patients. Thus, all major laboratories use centrifuges in great extent as per their requirements.