Magnetic stirrer is used to create a rotating magnetic field. The magnetic stirrer manufacturers design is fairly simple involving a small bar magnet and a stand or plate containing the rotating magnet. The bar magnet is usually coated with plastic, while the plate contains a rotating magnet.
Thus this helps create a rotating magnetic field which is very useful for several different chemical and biological experiments.
Important points to keep in mind while buying a Magnetic Stirrer:
- There are several different types of magnetic stirrers available depending on the volume of the liquid you need to stir. Thus the if you have a lot of liquid to mix you will require a more powerful magnetic stirrer.
- The viscosity of the liquid plays an important role when selecting a stirrer. Highly viscous liquid require a more powerful magnetic stirrer and if the viscosity is beyond certain limit then you will require to use an overhead stirrer.
- At times you may need the temperature of your liquid just right (at a specific temperature), make sure you select the device with the correct heating capabilities.
- A Magnetic stirrer is capable of high speed mixing however if you require slow mixing speed than it is possible that a magnetic stirrer is not the right device for you. Additionally if you have a special requirement that involves your liquid be stirred at a constant RPM then you need to make sure you pick a stirrer with suitable capabilities.
Stability & Accuracy Requirements:
- If the experiment being conducted requires great accuracy and precise temperatures than it may be a good idea to resort to a heating block or a water bath.
- A magnetic stirrer which is usually used in a laboratory is capable of causing some serious damage. Thus there are types of magnetic stirrers that also include safety features. The safety features include temperature control to make sure it doesn’t get too hot to handle, a heat indicator to display the heat level of the device and heat resistant electrical cable. However the safety features will be increase the price of the device.
- It is also possible that your magnetic stirrer may be subjected to hazardous chemicals. Thus in this cases you need to consider picking a device with a chemically resistant plate.
Magnetic stirrer specifications:
- There are magnetic stirrers that are programmable as well. Such devices can be programmed to automatically alter the RPM of the stirrer. Thus if you require a magnetic stirrer that can be programmed than those too are available however they tend to be slightly expensive.
There are several different types of Magnetic Stirrers available.
Like portable magnetic stirrer and laboratory magnetic stirrer.
- The i Stir Uno from Neuation Technologies is a good example of a Magnetic Stirrer. You can buy magnetic stirrer from Neuation.com
- The i Stir Uno possess no moving parts and is truly maintenance free.
- It has a low aspect ratio like 12 mm thickness.
- It is software driven and thus has a gradual acceleration.
- The speed is adjustable from 15 to 1500 RPM.
- This is a microprocessor controlled device which has the ability to store the last run configuration. It also has pulse mode that reverses the direction every 30 seconds for proper mixing.
- It has a universal power supply that has a small wall mount adaptor. The design is IP 65 complaint (water spill resistant), corrosion resistant (to fight harsh chemicals).
The more detailed specification of this device is as below:
- Max RPM: 1500 RPM
- Speed Setting: 15 to 1500 RPM
- Speed Indicator
- Load Capacity: 800ml
- Recommended Stir bar length: 25 mm
- Pulse function
- Last run memory.
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 120 x 164 x 12 mm)
- Weight: 400 gm
- Protection Class: IP65 compliant design.