A magnetic stirrer is laboratory equipment that is used to create a rotating magnetic field. The magnetic stirrer has a small bar magnet and a stand or plate containing a rotating magnet. Additionally the bar magnet is coated with plastic and plate that contains a rotating magnet. Thus a rotating magnetic field can be created with the help of a rotating magnet.
Magnetic stirrer Maintenance and Repairs:
A magnetic stirrer like any other laboratory device needs proper care and regular maintenance. Thus if your are wondering how to reduce maintenance costs of a Magnetic Stirrer, here are the following points you must take a note off :
- The magnetic stirrer must never be immersed in water or a cleaning solution of any kind.
- It is very easy to damage the surface of the equipment if you use chlorine based cleaning agents, cleaning wool or cleaning agents that contain metal parts or ammonium. Thus special care must be taken.
- The magnetic stirrer in almost maintenance free. The protective film on the standing surface can be left as it is if desired as well.
- It is good practice to clean the surfaces of the magnetic stirrer with a moist cloth on a regular basis.
- The magnetic stirrer can be cleaned with either water containing a surfactant detergent additive or isopropanol.
- It is advisable to change the status of the magnetic stirrer to standby mode, making sure the digital display disappears before cleaning it.
- Also make sure you disconnect the secondary power cable from the magnetic stirrer prior to cleaning.
- The equipment must be thoroughly checked before each use and in case you notice an defect in the power cable, secondary cable or the mains plugs, they must be replaced immediately with the recommended replacement.
- Any necessary repairs on the equipment must be carried out only the authorized service agent.
- In case the magnetic stirrers needs to be shipped to the authorized service agent for repairs, you should make sure that device is packed properly to prevent any transit damage.
Using the Magnetic Stirrer safely:
Every device has an instruction manual with instructions on how to operate it. Some devices are need to be operated by taking certain precautions as well, especially laboratory devices were experiments are conducted using several different kinds of substances. Here are a few tips on how to use a magnetic stirrer safely:
- Always be on the lookout for any warning signs, since you can prevent anything from going wrong before it happens that way.
- Never use the Magnetic stirrer (along with the power supply unit) in a humid room or in a place where there is a possibility of water splashes.
- Install the Magnetic Stirrer in a place which usually has a constant temperature.
- Other devices like pace makers, watches etc., can be affected by the Magnetic Stirrer and thus it is best to keep magnetic or metallic parts away from it.
- It is good practice to turn off the Magnetic Stirrer and remove the samples once the stirring is complete.
Role of the Magnetic Stirrer:
The Magnetic Stirrer is a device that is used in many different industries, however it is mainly used in the pharmaceutical and food industry. It allows the mixing of reactants at a uniform temperature. It is possible to prevent violent boiling in a sealed container while boiling. A Magnetic Stirrer can also be used to accelerate the reaction rate and the evaporation rate. Thus how you use the Magnetic Stirrer depends solely on your requirements.
Magnetic stirrer is used to create a rotating magnetic field. The magnetic stirrer manufacturers design is fairly simple involving a small bar magnet and a stand or plate containing the rotating magnet. The bar magnet is usually coated with plastic, while the plate contains a rotating magnet.
Thus this helps create a rotating magnetic field which is very useful for several different chemical and biological experiments.
Important points to keep in mind while buying a Magnetic Stirrer:
- There are several different types of magnetic stirrers available depending on the volume of the liquid you need to stir. Thus the if you have a lot of liquid to mix you will require a more powerful magnetic stirrer.
- The viscosity of the liquid plays an important role when selecting a stirrer. Highly viscous liquid require a more powerful magnetic stirrer and if the viscosity is beyond certain limit then you will require to use an overhead stirrer.
- At times you may need the temperature of your liquid just right (at a specific temperature), make sure you select the device with the correct heating capabilities.
- A Magnetic stirrer is capable of high speed mixing however if you require slow mixing speed than it is possible that a magnetic stirrer is not the right device for you. Additionally if you have a special requirement that involves your liquid be stirred at a constant RPM then you need to make sure you pick a stirrer with suitable capabilities.
Stability & Accuracy Requirements:
- If the experiment being conducted requires great accuracy and precise temperatures than it may be a good idea to resort to a heating block or a water bath.
- A magnetic stirrer which is usually used in a laboratory is capable of causing some serious damage. Thus there are types of magnetic stirrers that also include safety features. The safety features include temperature control to make sure it doesn’t get too hot to handle, a heat indicator to display the heat level of the device and heat resistant electrical cable. However the safety features will be increase the price of the device.
- It is also possible that your magnetic stirrer may be subjected to hazardous chemicals. Thus in this cases you need to consider picking a device with a chemically resistant plate.
Magnetic stirrer specifications:
- There are magnetic stirrers that are programmable as well. Such devices can be programmed to automatically alter the RPM of the stirrer. Thus if you require a magnetic stirrer that can be programmed than those too are available however they tend to be slightly expensive.
There are several different types of Magnetic Stirrers available.
Like portable magnetic stirrer and laboratory magnetic stirrer.
- The i Stir Uno from Neuation Technologies is a good example of a Magnetic Stirrer. You can buy magnetic stirrer from Neuation.com
- The i Stir Uno possess no moving parts and is truly maintenance free.
- It has a low aspect ratio like 12 mm thickness.
- It is software driven and thus has a gradual acceleration.
- The speed is adjustable from 15 to 1500 RPM.
- This is a microprocessor controlled device which has the ability to store the last run configuration. It also has pulse mode that reverses the direction every 30 seconds for proper mixing.
- It has a universal power supply that has a small wall mount adaptor. The design is IP 65 complaint (water spill resistant), corrosion resistant (to fight harsh chemicals).
The more detailed specification of this device is as below:
- Speed Setting: 15 to 1500 RPM
- Recommended Stir bar length: 25 mm
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 120 x 164 x 12 mm)
- Protection Class: IP65 compliant design.