- A Medical Centrifuge is an instrument that spins samples at a very high-speed. This forces the heavier particles to collect at the bottom of the tube. For example a Medical Centrifuge is extensively used for separating the cellular components of blood from the liquid so the liquid can be used for testing.
- The Medical Centrifuges vary in size, capacity and speed capability. Medical Centrifuges usually have a speed capacity of 0 – 2000 rpm and are capable of holding tubes ranging in size from 5 ml to 50 ml.
- The medical centrifuge used in the blood bank are often called serofuge and spin tubes with capacity of approximately 2 ml to 3 ml.
Maintenance of a Centrifuge:
- Like every other medical instrument even the Medical Centrifuge requires regular maintenance. In addition to maintenance of the medical equipment, it is essential to also care for device after every use. Here are a few tips for maintenance:
- The initial calibration of a centrifuge should always be performed by a qualified service technician.
- In an ideal world the maintenance procedure should be carried out on a daily, monthly or annual basis.
- One thing that should be followed to prolong the life of your centrifuge is to wipe the inside to the bowl with a disinfectant solution and rinse it thoroughly immediately after use.
- To prevent from causing damage to the centrifuge it is a good idea never to use it when it is hot.
- Things to look out for when the Centrifuge is in use is unusual vibrations, or noise, as well as deterioration of parts. When such cases are noticed it is advisable to stop the centrifuge device and remove the plug. In addition to this it is advisable to contact a qualified service technician.
- In addition to cleaning the device after use it is also essential to have a monthly maintenance routine for your medical centrifuge. There are a number of things to include in your monthly routine like cleaning of the centrifuge housing, rotor accessories with a neutral cleaning agent. Typically the centrifuge device should be cleaned with a mild cleaning agent.
- The monthly maintenance should be complemented with an annual maintenance. The ideal person to do this would be a qualified service technician.
- The annual maintenance should include the cleaning of condenser coils, filter as well as the fan screens. The centrifuge brushes should be checked along with the bearings, timer, temperature and speed as well the electrical integrity.
- There is a nut that secures the rotor to the shaft, make sure that this is not lose.
Repairs and fixes of a centrifuge:
- There are several cases when you may need to repair or fix the medical centrifuge. If you are a laboratory technician then you must be more than familiar with spills and minor accidents that occasionally do occur.
Here are few common issues and their fixes:
- It often happens that during the operation of a centrifuge liquid from the tube spills on the centrifuge device. Such spills should not be ignored and should be cleaned immediately. The reason being that such spills can easily cause corrosion or damage.
- The tubes used in the centrifuge do not last forever. They develop cracks over time. Using a tube which is cracked is extremely dangerous especially when using hazardous substances. These tubes can easily break while inside a centrifuge and cause a lot of damage. Thus such tubes should be replaced as soon you come across them.
- Neuation is one company that knows all there is to know about Centrifuges. It has a wide range Centrifuges devices that have many different functions available as per the requirements. Neuation makes sure that their devices work optimal on high- speed as well. In addition to being fully functional they are also equipped with safety features. The Centrifuge iFuge D06 from Neuation has 6 x 12/ 15/10/5 ml rotor options with adapters and RPM setting from 500-6500 RPM with least count of 100 with timer setting 1 to 30 minutes with countdown time display is an optimal device for several different laboratories.