- Laboratory Centrifuges are mainly used for testing liquids and substances like blood as far as medical and clinical trials are concerned.
- The process is known as centrifugation and involves the use of centrifugal forces to separate the liquid and mixtures.
- It is quite common to use the process of centrifugation in medical science, laboratory testing and biomedical research.
Factors to look out for when considering a medical centrifuge:
- The purchase of medical equipment can be quite difficult at times with many factors to consider.
- This guide intends to help you out when purchasing equipment used in medical laboratory, specially a Medical Centrifuge.
Here are a few factors to consider:
- These include micro-centrifuge, plasma preparation, PCR, microhematocrit, cytology and bench top, refrigerated centrifuges.
- In addition to this centrifuges are also available in tabletop and floor standing models.
- Accuracy is a very important factor and thus it is vital that you choose a quality product and buy from a well-known manufacturer.
- It is a good idea to check the warranty provided by the manufacturer.
Service and repairs:
- Many manufacturers offer prompt service and even come to you.
- This saves you the need of moving the equipment ; this is something that you need to consider when selecting a medical centrifuge.
- Centrifuges come in many different sizes and shapes and their prices too depends on those factors. For example the iFuge BL 08 from Neuation has a dimension of 162 x 157 x 115 mm while the iFuge M12P has a dimension of 230 x 262 x 131 mm.
- Thus it is vital to make sure you have all your requirements ready and available when you are buying one.-.
- The capacity of the medical centrifuge is of great importance. For example a bench top model would be suitable for a small laboratory while larger model of a centrifuge would be required for high throughput laboratories which would be able to offer a larger number of tubes per run. For example the rotor capacity for the iFuge M12P Centrifuge from Neuation is 12 micro-tubes of 1.5 to 2.0 ml.
- Another very important factor is the actual speed and g force required.
- Making sure that the device you select has the speed level settings that you desire is another point to look out for. As an example the speed for the iFuge M12P centrifuge from Neuation is 15000 RPM (15596 x g).
- As discussed there are various different types of centrifuges available depending on the requirements.
- In the sense the centrifuge could be either refrigerated or non refrigerated.
- Opting for the refrigerated option with help you protect the samples from heat. This is sometimes required in medical laboratories, especially when dealing with blood samples.
- The tubes may be made of either glass or plastic and also differ in dimensions.
- Thus it is necessary to have the appropriate information regarding specific requirements in order to make an educated decision.
- The centrifuge power supply requirements may vary and thus it is in good practice to verify that the centrifuge’s power requirements are compatible with what you have.
Medical equipment specifications are of great importance. The features and technical specifications to look out for are as mentioned below: -Can we provide details for Neuation product?
- Applications and capability
- Programmable or standard
- Refrigerated or non refrigerated
- Protocols for centrifugation
- Sample volume and throughput
- Dimensions of the tubes
- Hermetically sealable lids on rotor or buckets
- Motor and noise level.